This still isn’t the blog post I was planning, but when I found the TV Creature Survey by Pete from Thequacksoflife, I wondered which animal characters from film in general I would place as my top ten. This is my list (in order of importance):
- The Angry Beavers
- Scrat (from The Ice Age)
- Puss in Boots (from Shrek)
- Hammy the squirrel (from Over the Hedge)
- Sid the sloth (from The Ice Age)
- The Wombles (if I had to pick one, it would be Orinoco… or possibly Wellington)
- Salem (black cat from Sabrina the Witch)
- Kaa the python (from Disney’s The Jungle Book)
- The Pink Panther
- Black Beauty (from the old TV series)
I love Winnie the Pooh when safe between the covers of his book, but I can’t stand the TV versions… very dull. That’s why he’s not on this list.
I have a Disney print (a find from a charity shop, carefully attached to my cork board) of Shere Khan throttling Kaa with one lazy fist. You’d have to see it to appreciate the humour of their expressions, but I bought it because it reminded me of my relationship with my sister. Our Chinese Zodiac animals are Tiger (sister) and Snake (me).
Looking at it just now, I see a photo of Sharky on the board too – it has swung loose and slipped round to rest on top of Kaa in the picture… maybe he’s still trying to protect me!